Topics Covered: Awareness in Space.
Russia to launch its own space station in 2025:
Russia’s space agency is planning to launch its own orbital station in 2025.
Russia is considering withdrawing from the International Space Station programme to go it alone.
- Russia lost its monopoly for manned flights to the ISS last year after the first successful mission of U.S. company Space X.
About the International Space Station:
Launched in 1998 and involving Russia, the United States, Canada, Japan, and the European Space Agency, the ISS is one of the most ambitious international collaborations in human history.
- ISS is a modular space station (habitable artificial satellite) in low Earth orbit.
- The ISS serves as a microgravity and space environment research laboratory in which scientific experiments are conducted in astrobiology, astronomy, meteorology, physics, and other fields.
- The ISS circles the Earth in roughly 93 minutes, completing 15.5 orbits per day.
- ISS is the ninth space station to be inhabited by crews, following the Soviet and later Russian Salyut, Almaz, and Mir stations as well as Skylab from the US.
- About ISS.
- Countries involved.
- Previous space stations.
Write a note on the International Space Station.
Sources: the Hindu.