Topics Covered: Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
Demand for convalescent plasma has grown steadily over the past one week in Gurugram with sudden spike in COVID-19 cases.
- However, there remains a mismatch between the supply and the demand, especially with people unwilling to come forward to donate the plasma.
It is now difficult to find a donor because those vaccinated were not eligible to donate and the mismatch between supply and the demand has further widened.
What is plasma therapy?
Plasma is the liquid part of the blood. Convalescent plasma, extracted from the blood of patients recovering from an infection, is a source of antibodies against the infection.
The therapy involves using their plasma to help others recover.
- For Covid-19, this has been one of the treatment options. The donor would have to be a documented case of Covid-19 and healthy for 28 days since the last symptoms.
- Differences between vaccination and plasma therapy?
- What is passive immunisation?
- What are antibodies and antigens?
- Differences between blood donation and plasma donation.
Discuss the significance of convalescent plasma therapy.
Sources: the Hindu.