Topics Covered: Conservation related issues.
Draft amendment to Forest Conservation Act:
The Union Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change has proposed several amendments to the Forest (Conservation) Act, 1980 (FCA).
- They propose to grant exemptions to railways, roads, tree plantations, oil exploration, wildlife tourism and ‘strategic’ projects in forests.
- They seek to empower state governments to lease forest land to private individuals and corporations.
- Amendments seek to complete the process of forest identification in a time-bound manner.
- They also propose to enable the creation of ‘no-go’ areas, where specific projects would not be allowed.
What’s the issue and concern?
If the proposed amendments come into force, they would dilute the provisions of the landmark 1996 decision of the Supreme Court in Godavarman case (TN Godavarman Thirumulkpad vs Union Of India & Ors).
- The case had started off as a petition to stop illegal felling of timber in the Nilgiri hills, but ended up expanding the coverage of the FCA.
The proposed amendment purportedly seeks to reduce the scope of this judgment by limiting the applicability of the FCA to only such land that has been:
- Declared or notified as forest under the Indian Forest Act, 1927.
- Recorded as forest land in the government record prior to 25 October 1980, with the exception of such land if its use has been changed from forest to non-forest purpose prior to 12 December 1996.
- Identified as “forest” by a state government expert committee up to one year from the date of the amendment.
About the Forest (Conservation) Act, 1980:
- The FCA is the principal legislation that regulates deforestation in the country.
- It prohibits the felling of forests for any “non-forestry” use without prior clearance by the central government.
- The clearance process includes seeking consent from local forest rights-holders and from wildlife authorities.
- The Centre is empowered to reject such requests or allow it with legally binding conditions.
- Key Provisions of the FCA.
- Godavarman case is related to?
Write a note on the Forest (Conservation) Act, 1980.
Sources: down to earth.