Topics Covered: Parliament and State Legislatures – structure, functioning, conduct of business, powers & privileges and issues arising out of these.
Why Haryana amended rules for conduct of business in Assembly?
Haryana has amended several provisions under its Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the Legislative Assembly of the state.
- Several new provisions have been added.
What are the new Rules in the amended provisions? What was the need for them?
- During every sitting of the House, presence of at least two ministers is a must, which was not maintained at times during discussion on certain Calling Attention Motions or other Business of the House.
- The members “shall not tear off documents in the House in protest”. There had been instances where Members occupying opposition benches had torn copies of documents in the House as a mark of protest.
- A supplementary question shall be held out of order by the Speaker if, in his opinion- (i) It does not arise from the main Question or its answer; (ii) Instead of seeking information, it gives information; (iii) It seeks confirmation or denial of an opinion; and (iv) It infringes any of the rule regarding question.
- The Speaker shall allow not more than two supplementary questions to be asked on any question.
What is the new definition of Leader of Opposition?
Leader of Opposition means Leader of a Legislative Party having the largest number of members other than the party/parties that has formed the government and having the strength at least equal to the strength of the quorum of the House and recognised as such by the Speaker.
- Provided that if more than one party has got equal number of members competing for recognition, the number of votes polled to the which has polled more number of votes in the Assembly elections, shall be recognised as the official opposition and its leader as the Leader of the Opposition.
- Provided further that if the total number of votes polled to both the groups equal, then the Office of the Leader of the Opposition shall be held alternatively and the order in which they will hold Office shall be decided by draw of lots.
- Overview of the new rules.
- Who is the leader of opposition in parliament?
- Leader of opposition in state legislatures.
- Rules of Procedure and Conduct of Business in the Legislative Assembly vs Parliament.
Discuss the significance of these rules.
Sources: Indian Express.