Topics Covered: Challenges to internal security through communication networks, role of media and social networking sites in internal security challenges, basics of cyber security; money-laundering and its prevention.
2020 Human Rights Report:
Released by the U.S. State Department.
- The report, which is submitted each year to the U.S. Congress, is retrospective and contains a country-wise discussion of the state of human rights.
- The harassment and detention of journalists critical of the Indian government in their reporting and on social media, has continued, although the government generally respected the freedom of expression.
- Government’s requests for user data from Internet companies had increased “dramatically.”
- There were several instances in which the government, or actors considered close to the government, allegedly pressured or harassed media outlets critical of the government, including through online trolling.
- The government made 49,382 user data requests in 2019 from Facebook, a 32% increase from 2018. Over the same period, Google requests increased by 69%, while Twitter requests saw a 68% increase.
Sources: The Hindu.