Topics Covered: Role of civil services in a democracy.
The Bihar police Bill:
The Bihar Special Armed Police Bill, 2021 was passed recently amid protests by the Opposition.
- The Bill is aimed at boosting security, and will have limited scope as it is applicable only to certain specified areas.
Aim of the Bill:
It “aims to develop the Bihar Military Police into a well-trained and fully equipped armed police force with multi-domain expertise to cater to the development needs and the larger interest of the state.
- Renames the Bihar Military Police as the Bihar Special Armed Police, and gives the force more teeth, on the lines of the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), so it can better secure the commercial and industrial assets of the state.
- The mandate of the force will be the “maintenance of public order, combating extremism, ensuring the better protection and security of specified establishments in such manner as may be notified and perform such other duties, as may be notified.”
- Empowers Special Armed Police officers to carry out searches and arrests without warrant.
- Courts can take congnizance of certain offences by the officers only after government sanction.
Over the past decade, the state’s dependence on Central forces has grown, and an organised armed police force of its own will save government expenses and create more jobs for locals.
Issues and concerns associated:
- The bill gives absolute powers to the police personnel in some cases.
- Section 15 of the Act says a court cannot take cognisance if a special armed police officer is involved in a serious case barring some exceptions.
- The government says the Bill is applicable only to certain areas. But it has not specified which areas, nor has it said on what basis would these locations be notified.
- Key features of the Bill.
- Police subject under 7th schedule.
Discuss the issues associated with the Bill.
Sources: Indian Express.