Topics Covered: Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues.
In the run-up to the polls in Assam, the name of Ahom general Lachit Borphukan, credited with defeating the Mughals in the Battle of Saraighat (1671), has been frequently invoked.
Who was Lachit Borphukan?
- He was a commander in the Ahom kingdom.
- Known for his leadership in the 1671 Battle of Saraighat that thwarted a drawn-out attempt by Mughal forces under the command of Ramsingh I to take over Ahom kingdom.
- The battle of Saraighat was fought on the banks of the Brahmaputra in Guwahati.
- The National Defence Academy (NDA), ever since 1999 has been conferring the best passing out cadet with the Lachit Borphukan gold medal.
During the last phase of the Battle of Saraighat, when the Mughals attacked the Assamese forces through the river in Saraighat, many Assamese soldiers began losing their will to fight. It was Lachit’s clarion call to all the soldiers that made them fight till their last breath, ultimately resulting in the defeat of the Mughals.
- Lachit Borphukam is famously remembered for?
- Battle of Saraighat was fought between?
- Which Indian Organization awards Lachit Borphukan gold medal.
Discuss the causes and outcomes of the Battle of Saraighat.
Sources: Indian Express.