Topics Covered: Conservation related issues.
Ken-Betwa Interlinking Project Dam:
Chief Ministers of Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh have signed a historic agreement to implement the Ken Betwa Link Project (KBLP).
About Ken- Betwa project:
Conceived as a two-part project, this is the country’s first river interlinking project.
It is perceived as a model plan for similar interstate river transfer missions.
- The project aims to transfer surplus water from the Ken river in MP to Betwa in UP to irrigate the drought-prone Bundelkhand region spread across the districts of two states mainly Jhansi, Banda, Lalitpur and Mahoba districts of UP and Tikamgarh, Panna and Chhatarpur districts of MP.
- Ken and Betwa rivers originate in MP and are the tributaries of Yamuna.
- Ken meets with Yamuna in Banda district of UP and with Betwa in Hamirpur district of UP.
- Rajghat, Paricha and Matatila dams are over Betwa river.
- Ken River passes through Panna tiger reserve.
Benefits of interlinking:
- Enhances water and food security.
- Proper utilisation of water.
- Boost to agriculture.
- Disaster mitigation.
- Boost to transportation.
- About the Project.
- Ken and Betwa- tributaries and basin states.
Discuss the significance of the project.
Sources: the Hindu.