Topics Covered: Issues related to employment.
The Jharkhand bill that reserves 75% jobs in private sector for locals:
The Jharkhand government has announced 75% reservation in private sector jobs.
How does the bill define private sector jobs?
The bill will treat shops, establishments, mines, enterprises, industries, companies, societies, trusts, Limited Liability Partnership firms and any person employing ten or more persons as the private sector and an entity. Moreover, the same may be notified by the government from time to time.
Highlights of the Bill:
- Every employer needs to register employees on a designated portal who are receiving gross monthly salary or wages not more than Rs 30, 000 — or as notified by the government from time to time — within three months of this bill (after turning into an Act) coming into force.
- No person should be engaged or employed unless the registration process is complete on the designated portal.
- No local candidate will be eligible to avail 75 per cent benefit without registering herself in the designated portal.
- The employer may claim exemption where an adequate number of local candidates of the desired skill qualification or proficiency are not available.
- The employer will have to furnish a quarterly return about vacancies and employment on the portal which will be examined by an Authorised Officer (AO), who is a District Employment Officer, who can call any records for the purpose of verification.
- The aggrieved employer may also file an appeal within 60 days of an order passed by the AO or DO in front of an Appellate Authority — the Director, Employment and Training, Government of Jharkhand.
Concerns and issues associated with this policy:
- Violates constitutional provisions- Article 16.
- Impacts ‘Unity in Diversity’: This policy can lead to a situation of locals vs non-locals in an area, thus posing a threat to the integration of the country.
- It might discourage capital investment in the region.
- Impacts freedom of a business.
- Against the spirit of competition.
- Key provisions of the Bill.
- Article 16 of the Indian Constitution is related to?
- Reservations vs Articles 14 and 15 of the Indian Constitution.
Discuss issues associated with Jharkhand’s move to reserve 75% private jobs.
Sources: Indian Express.