Topics Covered: The Freedom Struggle – its various stages and important contributors /contributions from different parts of the country.
Padyatra to commemorate salt march:
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has flagged off the foot march to re-enact the historic Mahatma Gandhi-led Salt March, while launching the ‘Azadi Ka Amrut Mahotsav’, the government’s initiative to mark 75 years of India’s Independence.
- The march from Sabarmati Ashram in Ahmedabad to Dandi in Navsari district, a distance of 386 km, will take 25 days.
- It will mark the 91st anniversary of the historic march against the tax on salt imposed by the British in India.
About the 75th anniversary celebrations:
To be continued till August 15, 2023 under five themes of the celebrations as the guiding force for moving forward, keeping dreams and duties as the inspiration. The themes are:
- Freedom Struggle.
- Ideas at 75.
- Achievements at 75.
- Actions at 75.
- Resolves at 75.
About the Salt Satyagraha:
On March 12, 1930, Mahatma Gandhi embarked a historic Salt March from Sabarmati Ashram in Gujarat’s Ahmedabad to the village of Dandi in the state’s coastal area to protest against the steep tax the British levied on salt.
- The Salt March began on March 12, 1930 and continued till April 6, 1930.
- It was a 24-day Salt March, which was non-violent in nature, is historically significant as it led to the mass Civil Disobedience Movement.
- Upon reaching the seashore in Dandi, Mahatma Gandhi broke the law by producing illegal salt.
Why Gandhiji chose Salt Satyagraha to start the civil disobedience movement?
- In every Indian household, salt was indispensable, yet people were forbidden from making salt even for domestic use, compelling them to buy it from shops at a high price.
- The state monopoly over salt was deeply unpopular; by making it his target, Gandhiji hoped to mobilise a wider discontent against British rule.
- Salt was chosen to symbolize the start of civil disobedience movement because salt was deemed as something on which each Indian had the basic right.
- About Salt March.
- Causes, effects and outcomes.
- About the Civil Disobedience Movement.
- Key leaders.
Discuss the significance and outcomes of Dandi March.
Sources: the Hindu.