Topics Covered: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
National Capital Territory Bill:
The Lok Sabha on Wednesday passed the National Capital Territory of Delhi Laws (Special Provisions) Second (Amendment) Bill, 2021.
- It seeks to regularise unauthorised colonies that existed in the National Capital Territory of Delhi as on June 1, 2014, and had seen development up to 50% as on January 1, 2015.
- It amended the National Capital Territory of Delhi Laws (Special Provisions) Second Act, 2011.
- The bill would give protection to unauthorised colonies from sealing till December 31, 2023.
- The 2011 Act was valid till December 31, 2020. The 2011 Act provided for the regularisation of the unauthorised colonies that existed in the national capital as on March 31, 2002 and where construction took place till June 1, 2014.
Large number of people living in unauthorised colonies in Delhi are not receiving proper amenities and this Bill provided ownership rights to those living in these colonies. It would facilitate access to institutional credit and also improve the basic amenities.
- Articles 239A vs 239AA.
- Powers of Delhi Government vs LG.
- How administration of Delhi is different from administration of other states having a legislature?
- When did Delhi get a legislature?
- How is Delhi LG appointed?
- Key features of the new Bill.
Write a note on the Constitution (Sixty-ninth Amendment) Act, 1991.
Sources: the Hindu.