Topics Covered: Cyber security related issues.
Chinese cyber attack foiled: Power Ministry:
Recently, few “State-sponsored” Chinese hacker groups targeted various Indian power centres. However, these groups have been thwarted after government cyber agencies warned it about their activities.
Union Power Ministry has clarified that:
- There is no impact on any of the functionalities carried out by the Power Sector Operations Corporation (POSOCO) due to the referred threat.
- No data breach/data loss has been detected due to these incidents.
- Prompt actions are being taken by the Chief Information Security Officers at all these control centres under operation by POSOCO for any incident/advisory received from various agencies.
US Report on the incident:
According to U.S. cyber security and intelligence firm:
- Chinese state-sponsored actors may have deployed malware into Indian power grids and seaports as border tensions between India and China began escalating last May, culminating in a deadly clash along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in mid-June.
- An October 12 grid failure in Mumbai may have been caused by the Chinese malware.
- There is still some evidence of ongoing intrusion although a significant amount of it has subsided recently.
Steps taken by the Government to spread awareness about cyber crimes:
- Online cybercrime reporting portal has been launched to enable complainants to report complaints pertaining to Child Pornography/Child Sexual Abuse Material, rape/gang rape imageries or sexually explicit content.
- A scheme for establishment of Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre (I4C) has been established to handle issues related to cybercrime in the country in a comprehensive and coordinated manner.
- Establishment of National Critical Information Infrastructure Protection Centre (NCIIPC) for protection of critical information infrastructure in the country.
- All organizations providing digital services have been mandated to report cyber security incidents to CERT-In expeditiously.
- Cyber Swachhta Kendra (Botnet Cleaning and Malware Analysis Centre) has been launched for providing detection of malicious programmes and free tools to remove such programmes.
- Formulation of Crisis Management Plan for countering cyber-attacks and cyber terrorism.
What needs to be done ahead?
- Regularly issue alerts/advisories.
- Capacity building/training of law enforcement personnel/ prosecutors/ judicial officers.
- Improving cyber forensics facilities etc.
- Speed up investigation.
Finally, ‘Police’ and ‘Public Order’ are State subjects as per the Constitution of India. States/UTs are primarily responsible for prevention, detection, investigation and prosecution of crimes through their law enforcement machinery.
- About the Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre (I4C).
- National Critical Information Infrastructure Protection Centre (NCIIPC).
- CERT- In.
- Cyber Swachhta Kendra’s.
Sources: the Hindu.