Topic covered: Mechanisms, laws, institutions and bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
National Commission for SCs:
New chief for National Commission for SCs- Vijay Sampla.
About National Commission for Scheduled Castes:
- In order to provide the Scheduled Castes of Indian society safeguards against exploitation and to promote their social, economic, educational and cultural development, the Commission was set up by the Government of India.
- The National Commission for Scheduled Tribes (NCST) was established by amending Article 338 and inserting a new Article 338A in the Constitution through the Constitution (89th Amendment) Act, 2003.
- By this amendment, the erstwhile National Commission for Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes was replaced by two separate Commissions namely- the National Commission for Scheduled Castes (NCSC), and the National Commission for Scheduled Tribes (NCST) from February, 2004.
- It consists of a chairperson, a vice-chairperson and three other members. They are appointed by the President by warrant under his hand and seal.
- About NCSC.
- Constitutional provisions.
- About Articles 338 and 338A.
Discuss the functions of NCSC.