Topics Covered: Conservation, environmental pollution and degradation, environmental impact assessment.
World Sustainable Development Summit:
20th edition of the event was inaugurated recently.
Theme: Redefining our common future: Safe and secure environment for all.
About the World Sustainable Development Summit:
- It is the annual flagship event of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI).
- It is the sole Summit on global issues taking place in the developing world.
- It provides a platform for global leaders and practitioners to discuss and deliberate over climatic issues of universal importance.
- It strives to provide long-term solutions for the benefit of the global community by assembling the world’s most enlightened leaders and thinkers on a single platform.
It is continuing the legacy of Delhi Sustainable Development Summit (DSDS) which was initiated in 2001 with the aim of making ‘sustainable development’ a globally shared goal.
The Energy and Resources Institute – TERI:
- It is a leading think tank dedicated to conducting research for sustainable development of India and the Global South.
- TERI was established in 1974 as an information centre on energy issues. However, over the following decades, it made a mark as a research institute, whose policy and technology solutions transformed people’s lives and the environment.
Sources: the Hindu.