Topics Covered: Major crops cropping patterns in various parts of the country.
Assam Chah Bagichar Dhan Puraskar Mela Scheme:
The third phase of Chah Bagicha Dhan Puraskar mela is set to be held in Guwahati was held recently.
About the Scheme:
- Started by the Assam government in the year 2017- 18.
- Launched to encourage people to open bank accounts in tea garden areas.
- Under this scheme, the workers of the tea community will receive Rs. 2500 in their bank accounts.
- Residents of Assam and who work on tea gardens.
- Women belonging to BPL category.
Tea production in India:
India accounts for 14% of global tea exports and nearly 20% of the tea produced in the country is exported, according to Tea Board India.
- The largest consumer of tea in the world.
- The second largest producer of tea in the world.
- The fourth largest exporter of tea in the world.
Places where tea is grown in India:
Tea cultivation and plantation is practiced in Assam, Darjeeling, Nilgiri Hills of South India and Tarai along the foothills of the Himalayas.
Conditions of Growth:
Climate: Tea is a tropical and sub-tropical plant and grows well in hot and humid climate.
Rainfall: 150-300 cm annual rainfall.
Soil: Slightly acidic soil with porous sub-soil which permits a free percolation of water.
- About Tea.
- Climatic conditions for its growth.
- Distribution of tea in India.
- Tea import and export in India.
- Largest producer of tea in India and the world.