Topics Covered: The Freedom Struggle – its various stages and important contributors /contributions from different parts of the country.
‘Chauri Chaura’ Centenary Celebrations:
February 4th 2021 marks hundred years of the Chauri Chaura incident that had led to Mahatma Gandhi calling off the Non-cooperation Movement.
What is Chauri Chaura incident?
- The incident occurred at Chauri Chaura in the Gorakhpur district of the United Province, (modern Uttar Pradesh) in British India.
- During this incident, a large group of protesters, participating in the Non-cooperation movement, clashed with police, who opened fire.
- The demonstrators attacked and set fire to a police station in retaliation, killing all of its occupants.
- In response to this, Mahatma Gandhi, who was strictly against violence, halted the Non-cooperation Movement on the national level on 12 February 1922, as a direct result of this incident.
- What is non cooperation movement?
- Causes and outcomes.
- What is Rowlatt Act?
- Chauri Chaura incident.
Discuss the outcomes of Chauri Chaura incident.