Topics Covered: Effect of policies and politics of developed and developing countries on India’s interests, Indian diaspora.
Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) or the “Iran deal”:
U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken recently confirmed that if Iran were to become compliant with the terms of the now defunct Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA, or the “Iran deal”), the U.S. would re-enter it too.
- The Trump administration had pulled out of the deal in 2018.
About the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, or JCPOA:
Iran agreed to rein in its nuclear programme in a 2015 deal struck with the US, UK, Russia, China, France and Germany.
The 2015 nuclear deal gave Iran relief from sanctions in return for curbs on its nuclear programme.
Under the deal:
- Iran agreed to rein in its nuclear programme in a 2015 deal struck with the US, UK, Russia, China, France and Germany.
- Tehran agreed to significantly cut its stores of centrifuges, enriched uranium and heavy-water, all key components for nuclear weapons.
- The Joint Commission was established, with the negotiating parties all represented, to monitor implementation of the agreement.
- What is JCPOA? Signatories.
- Iran and its neighbours.
- What is IAEA? Relation with the UN.
- What is Uranium Enrichment?
Write a note on JCPOA.
Sources: the Hindu.