Topics Covered: Issues related to direct and indirect farm subsidies and minimum support prices; Public Distribution System objectives, functioning, limitations, revamping; issues of buffer stocks and food security; Technology missions.
₹1,364 crore given to wrong beneficiaries of PM-Kisan.
About Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi:
- It is implemented as a central sector scheme by the Government of India.
- This scheme was introduced to augment the source of income of many small and marginal farmers.
- Under the Scheme an amount of Rs.6000/- per year is transferred directly into the bank accounts of the farmers, subject to certain exclusion criteria relating to higher income status.
- The entire responsibility of identification of beneficiaries rests with the State / UT Governments.
The Scheme initially provided income support to all Small and Marginal Farmers’ families across the country, holding cultivable land upto 2 hectares. Its ambit was later expanded w.e.f. 01.06.2019 to cover all farmer families in the country irrespective of the size of their land holdings.
Affluent farmers have been excluded from the scheme such as Income Tax payers in last assessment year, professionals like Doctors, Engineers, Lawyers, Chartered Accountants etc and pensioners pensioners drawing at least Rs.10,000/- per month (excluding MTS/Class IV/Group D employees).
Similar programmes by states:
- Bhavantar Bhugtan Yojana- MP.
- The Rythu Bandhu scheme- Telangana.
- Krushak Assistance for Livelihood and Income augmentation (KALIA)- Odisha.
- PM KISAN- eligibility.
- About Bhavantar Bhugtan Yojana.
- About Rythu Bandhu scheme.
- About KALIA scheme.