Topics Covered: Comparison of the Indian constitutional scheme with that of other countries.
How a US President can be impeached?
Democrats in the House of Republicans introduced an article of impeachment against U.S. President Donald Trump — the “incitement of insurrection” for his role in the attack on the Capitol recently.
What is Impeachment?
Impeachment is a provision that allows Congress to remove the President of the United States.
Under the US Constitution:
- The House of Representatives (Lower House) has the “the sole power of impeachment” while the Senate (Upper House) has “the sole power to try all impeachments”.
- The Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court has the duty of presiding over impeachment trials in the Senate.
Grounds for impeachment:
- The President can be removed from office for “treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors”.
- Essentially, it means an abuse of power by a high-level public official. This does not necessarily have to be a violation of an ordinary criminal statute.
- Historically, in the US, it has encompassed corruption and other abuses, including trying to obstruct judicial proceedings..
- Elections- US President vs Indian President.
How a US President is impeached? Discuss.
Sources: the Hindu.