Topics Covered: Parliament and State Legislatures – structure, functioning, conduct of business, powers & privileges and issues arising out of these.
The budget session of Parliament is expected to be held under similar COVID-19 safety measures and restrictions, including strict physical distancing norms, that were in place for the monsoon session.
- So far, there is no clarity on whether the Question Hour which was suspended during the monsoon session as part of the COVID-19 restrictions will resume in the budget session.
- Article 85 requires that there should not be a gap of more than six months between two sessions of Parliament.
- The Constitution does not specify when or for how many days Parliament should meet.
Why is a Parliamentary Session important?
- Law-making is dependent on when Parliament meets.
- Also, a thorough scrutiny of the government’s functioning and deliberation on national issues can only take place when the two Houses are in session.
- Predictability in the functioning of Parliament is key to a well-functioning democracy.
- Who summons the Houses of Parliament?
- Powers of President vs Powers of Chairperson.
- What is adjournment sine die?
- What is dissolution of the house?
- Why Rajya Sabha cannot be dissolved?
What needs to be done to increase the productivity of both the houses of Parliament? Discuss.
Sources: the Hindu.