Topics Covered: Issues related to health.
Health officials in Kozhikode district of Kerala recently convened emergency meetings and kicked in preventive measures after six cases of shigella infection.
What is shigella infection?
Shigellosis, or shigella infection, is a contagious intestinal infection caused by a genus of bacteria known as shigella.
- The bacteria is one of the prime pathogens responsible for causing diarrhea, fluctuating between moderate and severe symptoms, especially in children in African and South Asian regions.
How does it spread?
- The bacteria, after entering the body through ingestion, attack the epithelial lining of the colon resulting in inflammation of the cells and subsequently the destruction of the cells in severe cases.
- It takes only a small number of shigella bacteria to enter a person’s system and get her sick.
- The infection is known to spread person-to-person when the bacteria is swallowed accidentally.
- About Shigella infection.
Sources: Indian Express.