Topics Covered: Government policies and interventions for development in various sectors and issues arising out of their design and implementation.
National Register of Citizens (NRC):
The National Register of Citizens (NRC) authorities have submitted to the Gauhati High Court an affidavit reportedly containing the details of “illegal foreigners” whose names had crept into the updated list of citizens released in 2019.
Some 19.06 lakh out of 3.3 crore applicants were excluded from the complete draft NRC published on August 31, 2019. It was later found that some “ineligible people” — those without papers establishing their domicile in Assam before March 24, 1971 — had been included in the citizens’ list.
- The NRC was created in 1951 to determine who was born in Assam and is therefore Indian, and who might be a migrant from erstwhile East Pakistan, now Bangladesh.
- The demand for updating the NRC was first raised in 1980 during the anti-foreigners Assam agitation spearheaded by the All Assam Students’ Union.
- A 2009 petition before the Supreme Court by the NGO Assam Public Works led to the updating exercise through a notification in December 2013.
- Relation between Census and National Population Register.
- NPR vs NRC.
- How NRC is related to Assam accord.
- Constitutional provisions wrt to grant and revocation of citizenships.
- Who carries out Census?
Discuss why a nationwide NRC exercise may not be feasible.
Sources: the Hindu.