Topics Covered: Awareness in the fields of IT, Space, Computers, robotics, nano-technology, bio-technology and issues relating to intellectual property rights.
Lakshadweep to get optical fibre cable:
The Union Cabinet has approved laying of undersea optical fibre cable to connect 11 islands of Lakshadweep with Kochi by May 2023, to help improve broadband connectivity in the Union Territory.
- The project will be funded by the Universal Service Obligation Fund.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi had launched the submarine cable connectivity to Andaman and Nicobar Islands in August.
He had then announced the aim to connect Lakshadweep with undersea optical fibre cable as well in 1,000 days.
This would improve telecommunication facilities in Lakshadweep by providing large bandwidth, and will play a vital role for delivery of e-governance services, potential development of fisheries, coconut-based industries, high-value tourism, educational development and healthcare.
What is Submarine Communications cable?
- It is a cable laid on the sea bed between land-based stations to carry telecommunication signals across stretches of ocean and sea.
- The optical fiber elements are typically individually coated with plastic layers and contained in a protective tube suitable for the environment where the cable will be deployed.
Importance of submarine cables:
- Currently 99 per cent of the data traffic that is crossing oceans is carried by undersea cables.
- The reliability of submarine cables is high, especially when multiple paths are available in the event of a cable break.
- The total carrying capacity of submarine cables is in the terabits per second, while satellites typically offer only 1,000 megabits per second and display higher latency.
- About optical fibers.
- Types of Submarine fiber cables.
- About the recently launched Chennai-Andaman and Nicobar Island Submarine Cable System.
- Key features of the Universal Service Obligation Fund.
Write a note on Chennai-Andaman and Nicobar Island Submarine Cable System.
Sources: the Hindu.