Topics Covered: Infrastructure.
Technical Specifications of Floating Structures:
Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways issues draft guidelines of Technical Specifications of Floating Structures for public consultation.
- The Ministry intends to promote floating jetties for various usages all along the Indian Coastline.
The benefits of floating jetties over the conventional quay and fixed concrete structures are as follows:
- It is a cost-effective solution and much cheaper than conventional structures price.
- Setting up of floating structures is much faster as compared to conventional jetties. Usually, floating structures can be built in 6-8 months as compared to 24 months for conventional structures.
- Its environmental impact is minimal.
- Expansions are easily feasible due to modular construction techniques.
- It is easily transportable in case of reconfiguring of the port.
- It provides constant freeboard between jetties and boats.
Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways has successfully implemented a few pilot projects in the recent past by following the international guiding principles.
- These include setting up of passenger floating jetties in Goa, water-aerodromes at Sabarmati River & at Sardar Sarovar Dam (for the seaplane services).