Topics Covered: Cyber security related issues.
Fight ‘fake news’: BRICS Media Forum:
The Fifth BRICS Media Forum was held virtually recently.
- At the end of the summit, representatives called for the five nations to work together to jointly combat the “virus of disinformation” in the pandemic era.
A common thread among members is a growing problem of disinformation or ‘fake news’.
- The news media around the world, especially daily newspapers, and also other forms of the media, have taken a big hit during the pandemic.
- Disinformation is being “transmitted globally at warp speed on the so-called technology platforms, notably Facebook, Twitter, Google, WhatsApp, and Instagram”.
- It was “a major threat not just to the mainstream media but, more importantly, to the lives and well-being of tens of millions of people and the safety and integrity of society as a whole.”
Need of the hour:
The BRICS Media Forum can make a real difference in the fight against motivated and harmful disinformation by:
- Promoting and strengthening relevant media exchanges, workshops, training of journalists, and interactions with technology companies that are willing to work with us to contain and end the menace.
- Rigorous fact-checking and investigation by well-trained teams of journalists and the new type of specialised fact-checking organisations can be supplemented by technological solutions, with the deployment of technologies like AI, in the fight against disinformation, especially large-scale online harms.
About BRICS Media Forum:
China’s Xinhua news agency came up with the idea of a BRICS Media Forum in 2015 to promote media cooperation.
The forum aims to:
- Establish an efficient coordination mechanism among BRICS media.
- Advance innovation-driven media development.
- Gather stronger momentum for the development of BRICS countries through exchange and pragmatic cooperation under the mechanism.
- BRICS- origin, when South Africa joined?
- About the New Development Bank (NDB).
- Which are the NDB funded projects in India?
- Fortaleza declaration is related to?
- What is the BRICS Contingent Reserve Arrangement?
What is the mandate of New Development Bank and Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank? Examine whether the coming of NDB and AIIB changes the rules of development financing vis-à-vis the western dominated multilateral financing institutions?
Sources: the Hindu.