Topic: Ethics and Human Interface: Essence, determinants and consequences of Ethics in-human actions; dimensions of ethics; ethics – in private and public relationships. Human Values – lessons from the lives and teachings of great leaders, reformers and administrators; role of Family society and educational institutions in inculcating values.
7. What is the main difference between psychological egoism and ethical egoism? Compare and contrast. (250 words)
Reference: Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude
Why the question:
The question is about differentiating between psychological egoism and ethical egoism? Compare and contrast.
Key Demand of the question:
One has to present the main difference between psychological egoism and ethical egoism.
Compare and contrast – provide for a detailed comparison of the two types, their features that are similar as well as different. One must provide for detailed assessment of the two.
Structure of the answer:
Define the two terms first.
- It is based on premise of ‘what is good for individual is good for society.’
- Jeremy Bentham gave this concept.
- It forms the basis for Utilitarian theory in normative ethics (Maximum pleasure, Minimum pain’).
- It focuses more on individual liberty, freedom and happiness.
- It is based on premise of ‘human being is selfish brutish and self-protective.’
- Thomas Hobbes gave this concept.
- It forms the basis for Social Contract theory given by Thomas Hobbes.
- Human will sacrifice some rights for sake of peace and order in society.
Conclude with importance of the two.