Topics Covered: Issues related to health.
What is the national digital health mission?
The Government is preparing for the nationwide launch of the National Digital Health Mission.
- The mission of the new digital health programme is to provide affordable medical health facilities to the citizens.
When was it launched?
In his address to the nation on Independence Day, the PM launched the National Digital Health Mission.
- The scheme was rolled out through a pilot launch in the Union Territories of Chandigarh, Ladakh, Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu, Puducherry, Andaman and Nicobar Islands and Lakshadweep.
Features of the Mission:
- It is a digital health ecosystem under which every Indian citizen will now have unique health IDs, digitised health records with identifiers for doctors and health facilities.
- The scheme will come under the Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana.
- It comprises six key building blocks — HealthID, DigiDoctor, Health Facility Registry, Personal Health Records, e-Pharmacy and Telemedicine.
- The National Health Authority has been given the mandate to design, build, roll-out and implement the mission in the country.
- The core building blocks of the mission is that the health ID, DigiDoctor and Health Facility Registry shall be owned, operated and maintained by the Government of India.
- Private stakeholders will have an equal opportunity to integrate and create their own products for the market. The core activities and verifications, however, remain with the government.
- Under the Mission, every Indian will get a Health ID card that will store all medical details of the person including prescriptions, treatment, diagnostic reports and discharge summaries.
- The citizens will be able to give their doctors and health providers one-time access to this data during visits to the hospital for consultation.
What was the need for this mission?
The mission aims to liberate citizens from the challenges of finding the right doctors, seeking appointment, payment of consultation fee, making several rounds of hospitals for prescription sheets, among several others and will empower people to make an informed decision to avail the best possible healthcare.
- Overview of the National Digital Health Mission.
- Components of the mission.
- Proposed National Health ID.
- Who can issue these IDs?
- Highlights of the National Health Policy 2017.
Discuss the significance of the National Digital Health Mission.
Sources: the Hindu.