Topics Covered: Security challenges and their management in border areas; linkages of organized crime with terrorism.
BRICS counter-terror strategy:
BRICS has unveiled a counter-terrorism strategy to strengthen bilateral and multilateral cooperation among the member countries for effectively combating the threat.
- The new strategy was adopted at the bloc’s annual summit which was held in the virtual format recently.
Overview of the Strategy:
- The aim of the strategy is to improve the practical cooperation among security and law-enforcement authorities of the member nations to prevent and combat terrorism, including by sharing timely and accurate information.
- The focus would be to “suppress” the facilitation of terrorist groups, entities and associated persons by not making available financial and material resources to them.
- The BRICS also resolved to counter “extremist narratives” conducive to terrorism and vowed to take steps to ensure that the Internet and social media platforms are not used for recruitment and radicalisation by terror groups.
- The BRICS high representatives for security shall be entrusted with leading the review of the implementation of this strategy, and the BRICS counter-terrorism working group (CTWG) shall be entrusted with its implementation.
These efforts will help prevent “further geographical expansion of terrorism” and address the threats posed by terrorists returning from conflict zones to countries of departure or travelling to third countries.
Sources: Indian Express.