Topics Covered: Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism & secularism.
2018 report on “Vital statistics of India based on the Civil Registration System”:
The report was published recently by the Registrar-General of India. It throws light on Sex Ratios of various states in the country.
- Sex ratio at birth is the number of females born per 1,000 males.
- State with best Sex Ratio: Arunachal Pradesh (1084).
- Worst: Manipur (757).
- Arunachal Pradesh is followed by Nagaland (965) Mizoram (964), Kerala (963) and Karnataka (957).
- Delhi recorded a sex ratio of 929, Haryana 914 and Jammu and Kashmir 952.
- The number of registered births increased to 2.33 crore in 2018 from 2.21 crore registered births the previous year.
- The level of registration of births has increased to 89.3% in 2018 from 81.3% in 2009.
What has the Government done in this regard?
It is implementing many schemes. These include:
- Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao.
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana (SSY).
- Girl Child Protection Scheme.
- Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandhana Yojana (PMMVY).
- Rashtriya Mahila Kosh (RMK).
What are the challenges while implementing the schemes and laws for women empowerment?
- There are no sufficient resources to undertake inspection and monitoring.
- Insufficient qualified staff.
- The poor performance of advisory committees at various levels.
- Insufficient understanding of laws and procedures.
- Lack of awareness.
- Limited infrastructure to support the implementation of these schemes
What can be the way forward?
- Stringent implementation of the laws that ban foeticide;
- Providing favourable schemes for those parents who have no sons;
- Free and compulsory education for girls;
- Women should be provided with job reservations;
- Supporting infrastructure and training should be ensured for the implementation of the related laws;
- The education system must focus on providing awareness about the women empowerment and the evils of dowry and female foeticide.
- Women, from early childhood, must be empowered and socialised so that they consider themselves to be on par with men.
- The government should focus on changing society’s mindset to address this issue.
- How is Sex Ratio defined?
- Report on “Vital statistics of India based on the Civil Registration System” is released by?
- Key findings in the latest edition.
Analyse the trends of sex ratio in India and its impact on socio-economic development of the country.
Sources: the Hindu.