Topics Covered: Different types of irrigation and irrigation systems storage.
Andhra Pradesh government recently said that it is planning to complete the Polavaram project by 2022 kharif season, and six other projects — Vamsadhara-Phase 2, Vamsadhara-Nagavali link, Owk tunnel-2, Velugonda-Phase 1 and Nellore and Sangam barrages — in 2020-21.
(Note: Please try to have an overview of important irrigation projects and rivers across which they are being built. Also, locate them on the map.)
About the Polavaram project:
- The dam is being built across the Godavari River in Andhra Pradesh.
- It will facilitate an inter-basin transfer to the Krishna river basin through its Right canal.
- Its reservoir spreads in parts of Chhattisgarh and Orissa States also.
- The project is a multipurpose major terminal reservoir project for development of Irrigation, Hydropower and drinking water facilities.
- The project was accorded national status in 2014 in the Andhra Pradesh Bifurcation Act and its design was changed.
- Godavari and its tributaries.
- Polavaram project- basin states.
- Locate these projects on map- Vamsadhara-Nagavali link, Owk tunnel-2, Velugonda-Phase 1 and Nellore and Sangam barrages.
Discuss the significance of Polavaram project.
Sources: the Hindu.