Topics Covered: Important International institutions, agencies and fora, their structure, mandate.
Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ):
Indian diplomat Vidisha Maitra elected to U.N. ACABQ.
Advisory Committee is an expert Committee of sixteen Members elected by the General Assembly for a period of three years, on the basis of a broad geographical representation.
- Members serve in a personal capacity and not as representatives of Member States.
- The Committee holds three sessions a year with total meeting time between nine and ten months per year.
- The Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Committee are elected by the Members of the Advisory Committee.
- To examine and report on the budget submitted by the Secretary-General to the General Assembly.
- To advise the General Assembly concerning any administrative and budgetary matters referred to it.
- Examines, on behalf of the General Assembly, the administrative budgets of the specialised agencies and proposals for financial arrangements with such agencies.
- To consider and report to the General Assembly on the auditors’ reports on the accounts of the United Nations and of the specialised agencies.
- About ACABQ.
- How members are elected?
Sources: the Hindu.