Topics Covered: Bilateral, regional and global groupings and agreements involving India and/or affecting India’s interests.
U.S. formally exits Paris pact on curbing climate change:
The United States has formally left the Paris Agreement.
- Some 189 countries remain committed to the 2015 Paris accord.
What is the Paris Agreement?
It is a historic international accord that brings almost 200 countries together in setting a common target to reduce global greenhouse emissions in an effort to fight climate change.
The pact seeks to keep global temperature rise to below 2 degrees Celsius from pre-industrial levels, and to try and limit the temperature increase even further to 1.5 degrees Celsius.
- To this end, each country has pledged to implement targeted action plans that will limit their greenhouse gas emissions.
- The Agreement asks rich and developed countries to provide financial and technological support to the developing world in its quest to fight and adapt to climate change.
How does a country leave the Agreement?
- Article 28 of the Paris Agreement allows countries to leave the Paris Agreement and lays down the process for leaving.
- A country can only give a notice for leaving at least three years after the Paris Agreement came into force.
- What is Paris Agreement?
- Which countries have not signed?
- Funding mechanism announced under the Paris Agreement.
Discuss the significance of the Paris Climate deal.
Sources: the Hindu.