Topics Covered: Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies.
IT Ministry working to comply with CIC orders on Aarogya Setu:
RTI (Right to Information) query related to the Aarogya Setu application.
What is Aarogya Setu?
- This is an android and IOS app which is a coronavirus tracking app that uses data provided by users.
- The App was launched by the Government of India in public-private partnership mode.
What’s the issue?
The IT Ministry and National Informatics Centre (NIC) were slammed by the CIC over their reply to an RTI stating that they do not have any information about the “creation” of the Aarogya Setu application.
- The CIC termed the response as “preposterous” and issued a show cause notice to the NIC to explain why a penalty under the RTI Act should not be slapped on it for “prima facie obstruction of information and providing an evasive reply”.
CIC was established in 2005 by the Central Government under the provisions of Right to Information (RTI) Act, 2005.
- The Chief Information Commissioner heads the Central Information Commission.
- It hears appeals from information-seekers who have not been satisfied by the public authority and also addresses major issues concerning the RTI Act.
- CIC submits an annual report to the Union government on the implementation of the provisions of RTI Act.
- About Aarogya Setu App.
- About CIC.
- Chief Information Commissioner vs Information Commissioners.
Sources: the Hindu.