Topics: Issues related to education.
World Bank’s STARS project:
Cabinet approves Rs. 5718 crore World Bank aided project STARS.
What is it?
STARS stands for Strengthening Teaching-Learning and Results for States Program (STARS).
STARS project would be implemented as a new Centrally Sponsored Scheme under the Department of School Education and Literacy, Ministry of Education.
It is a project to improve the quality and governance of school education in six Indian states.
- Six states are- Himachal Pradesh, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Odisha, and Rajasthan.
- Some 250 million students (between the age of 6 and 17) in 1.5 million schools, and over 10 million teachers will benefit from the program.
Reform initiatives under the project include:
- Focusing more directly on the delivery of education services at the state, district and sub district levels by providing customized local-level solutions towards school improvement.
- Addressing demands from stakeholders, especially parents, for greater accountability and inclusion by producing better data to assess the quality of learning; giving special attention to students from vulnerable section.
- Equipping teachers to manage this transformation by recognizing that teachers are central to achieving better learning outcomes.
- Investing more in developing India’s human capital needs by strengthening foundational learning for children in classes 1 to 3 and preparing them with the cognitive, socio-behavioural and language skills to meet future labour market needs.
Unique components of the project:
Contingency Emergency Response Component (CERC):
The project includes a Contingency Emergency Response Component (CERC) under the National Component which would enable it to be more responsive to any natural, man-made and health disasters.
- It will help the government respond to situations leading to loss of learning such as school closures/infrastructure damage, inadequate facilities and use technology for facilitating remote learning etc.
- The CERC component would facilitate the rapid re-categorization of financing and the utilization of streamlined financing request procedures.
A major component of the project is the establishment of PARAKH (Performance Assessment, Review, and Analysis of Knowledge for Holistic Development) as a National Assessment Centre.
- Included in the National Education Policy 2020, this autonomous institution under the Union Education Ministry will set norms for student assessment and evaluation for all school boards across the country, most of which currently follow norms set by State governments.
- It will also guide standardised testing to monitor learning outcomes at the State and national levels, according to the NEP.
- States covered under the STARS project.
- About World Bank and its funding.
- Institutions of World Bank.
- World Bank Group.
- What is open data initiative?
- What is PARAKH?
Write a note on World Bank’s STARS project.