Topics Covered: Indian Constitution- historical underpinnings, evolution, features, amendments, significant provisions and basic structure.
Bodoland poll gets Assam Cabinet nod:
Assam Cabinet has decided to request the State Election Commission to schedule the Bodoland Territorial Council election in December.
The elections to 40 seats in the council were to have been held on April 4 but were deferred due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The council has been under the Governor’s rule since its dissolution on April 27.
What are Autonomous District Councils?
As per the Sixth Schedule, the four states viz. Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura and Mizoram contain the Tribal Areas which are technically different from the Scheduled Areas.
Though these areas fall within the executive authority of the state, provision has been made for the creation of the District Councils and regional councils for the exercise of the certain legislative and judicial powers.
- Each district is an autonomous district and Governor can modify / divide the boundaries of the said Tribal areas by notification.
The Governor may, by public notification:
(a) Include any area.
(b) exclude any area.
(c) create a new autonomous district.
(d) increase the area of any autonomous district.
(e) diminish the area of any autonomous district.
(f) alter the name of any autonomous district.
(g) define the boundaries of any autonomous district.
Constitution of District Councils and Regional Councils:
(1) There shall be a District Council for each autonomous district consisting of not more than thirty members, of whom not more than four persons shall be nominated by the Governor and the rest shall be elected on the basis of adult suffrage.
(2) There shall be a separate Regional Council for each area constituted an autonomous region.
(3) Each District Council and each Regional Council shall be a body corporate by the name respectively of the District Council of (name of district) and the Regional Council of (name of region), shall have perpetual succession and a common seal and shall by the said name sue and be sued.
- What is an autonomous district council?
- Who constitutes them?
- Powers and roles?
- What are regional councils?
- Composition of these councils?
- How many states are covered under 6th schedule of the Indian Constitution.
What are Autonomous District Councils? Why have they been constituted? Discuss.
Sources: the Hindu.