InstaLinks help you think beyond the issue but relevant to the issue from UPSC prelims and Mains exam point of view. These linkages provided in this ‘hint’ format help you frame possible questions in your mind that might arise(or an examiner might imagine) from each current event. InstaLinks also connect every issue to their static or theoretical background. This helps you study a topic holistically and add new dimensions to every current event to help you think analytically.
Table of Contents:
GS Paper 1:
GS Paper 2:
GS Paper 3:
Facts for Prelims:
1. What is Naturopathy?
2. BrahMos Missile.
4. Decarbonization and Energy Transition Agenda.
GS Paper : 1
Topics Covered: Salient features of Indian Society, Diversity of India.
The National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) has released the annual Crime in India 2019 report.
- Increase in crimes against members of the Scheduled Castes (SCs) and the Scheduled Tribes (STs): There is an increase of over 7% and 26% in 2019 compared with the 2018 figures.
- Increase of 1.6% in the registration of cases over 2018.
- Uttar Pradesh recorded the highest number of crimes against the SCs in 2019, followed by Rajasthan and Bihar.
- Madhya Pradesh recorded the highest number of cases against STs, followed by Rajasthan, and Odisha.
- In the number of cases of rape of women belonging to the SCs, Rajasthan topped the list followed by Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh.
- Madhya Pradesh recorded the highest number of cases against the STs, followed by Rajasthan and Odisha.
- The highest number of incidents of rape of tribal women was registered in Madhya Pradesh.
Overall crimes against women:
A total of 4,05,861 cases of crime against women were registered in 2019 compared to 3,78,236 cases in 2018, showing an increase of 7.3%.
Increased by 63.5% in 2019. Out of this, 60.4% of cybercrime cases registered were for the motive of fraud, followed by sexual exploitation, with 5.1%.
Drawbacks of the survey:
Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative (CHRI), a police reforms advocacy group, said few cases were being registered for specific discriminatory action against SCs and STs.
- The low percentage of cases registered indicates that very few cases alleging specific discriminatory actions on the basis of caste and tribal identity that are defined as atrocities under Section 3 of the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities Act), 1989 are being registered on their own.
- Such actions are registered mainly when accompanied by any of the IPC offences.
- Also, there is no data on total complaints received on crimes against the Scheduled Castes.
- What is NCRB? When was it established?
- It works under which Ministry?
- Reports by NCRB.
- Key findings in the report given above.
Discuss why crimes against SCs and STs are increasing? Suggest suitable solutions.
Sources: the Hindu.
GS Paper : 2
Topics Covered: Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes; mechanisms, laws, institutions and bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment.
Venture Capital Fund for SCs.
- To promote entrepreneurship among the SC Youth with special preference to Divyangs;
- To support (1,000) innovative ideas till 2024 through a synergetic work with the Technology Business Incubators (TBIs) set up by Department of Science and Technology;
- To support, promote, hand-hold the start-up ideas till they reach commercial stage by providing liberal equity support; and
- To incentivise students with innovative mind-set to take to entrepreneurship with confidence.
- 1,000 SC youth would be identified in the next 4 years with start-up ideas through the Technology Business Incubators (TBIs) in various higher educational institutions.
- They will be funded @ Rs. 30 lakhs in 3 years as equity funding so that they can translate their start-up ideas into commercial ventures.
- Successful ventures would further qualify for venture funding of up to Rs. 5 Crore from the Venture Capital Fund for SCs.
Who is eligible for support under ASIIM?
- Youth who have been identified by the TBIs being promoted by Department of Science & Technology.
- Youth who are identified for incubation by reputed private TBIs.
- Students who have been awarded under the Smart India Hackathon or Smart India Hardware Hackathon being conducted by Ministry of Education.
- Innovative ideas focusing on the socio-economic development of the society identified in the TBIs.
- Start-ups nominated and supported by corporates through CSR funds.
What is Venture Capital Fund for SCs (VCF-SC)?
- Launched by the Ministry of Social Justice in 2014-15 with a view of developing entrepreneurship amongst the SC/Divyang youth and to enable them to become ‘job-givers’.
- The Objective of this fund is to provide concessional finance to the entities of the SC entrepreneurs.
- About ASIIM.
- Launched by?
- What is VCF-SC?
GS Paper : 3
Topics Covered: Government Budgeting.
Why in News?
The Finance Ministry has said that the government will borrow Rs 4.34 lakh crore in the second half of the current fiscal to meet its expenditure requirement amid COVID-19 crisis afflicting the country”s economy.
- With this, the government will stick to the revised borrowing target for the current fiscal.
What was the target?
The Centre had revised the borrowing target to Rs 12 lakh crore in May against Rs 7.8 lakh crore approved in the Budget 2020-21.
What is the fiscal deficit target?
The Budget has pegged fiscal deficit at 3.5 per cent for the current fiscal, down from 3.8 per cent of the GDP in the last financial year.
- Last fiscal, the government had to resort to the “escape clause” in the Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management (FRBM) Act for deviating from fiscal deficit target to 3.8 per cent from the Budget estimate of 3.3 per cent for 2019-20.
What is an escape clause?
The “escape clause” allows the government to breach its fiscal deficit target by 0.5 percentage points at times of severe stress in the economy, including periods of structural change and those when growth falls sharply.
What is government borrowing?
Borrowing is a loan taken by the government and falls under capital receipts in the Budget document.
Usually, Government borrows through issue of government securities called G-secs and Treasury Bills.
How does increased government borrowing affect govt finances?
Bulk of government’s fiscal deficit comes from its interest obligation on past debt.
- If the government resorts to larger borrowings, more than what it has projected, then its interest costs also go up risking higher fiscal deficit. That hurts government’s finances.
- Larger borrowing programme means that the public debt will go up and especially at a time when the GDP growth is subdues, it will lead to a higher debt-to-GDP ratio.
- What are G-Secs?
- What are T-Bills?
- What is ways and means advance?
- What is FRBM Act?
How does increased government borrowing affect govt finances? Discuss.
Sources: the Hindu.
Topics Covered: Conservation related issues.
Why in News?
‘Zombie fires’ becoming more frequent in Arctic in addition to fires occurring in the once-frozen tundra.
What are they?
A zombie fire is a fire that continues to burn underground and then reignites on the surface after a period of time.
What’s the concern now?
Fires in the Arctic are spreading to areas which were formerly fire-resistant. The tundra — north of the Arctic Circle — is drying up and vegetation there like moss, grass, dwarf shrubs, etc are starting to catch fire.
- The fires and record temperatures have the potential of turning the carbon sink into a carbon source and increasing global warming.
Need of the hour:
- There is an urgent need to understand the nature of fires in the Arctic which are evolving and changing rapidly.
- The issue needs to be taken up as an issue of global importance.
- There is a need for global cooperation, investment and action in monitoring fires.
- Also needed it the learning from indigenous people of the Arctic about how fire was traditional used.
- New permafrost- and peat-sensitive approaches to wildland fire fighting are also needed to save the Arctic.
- What are Zombie fires?
- How do they occur?
- Where is Tundra? Fauna and flora.
- Arctic region.
- Countries in Arctic cricle.
- What is Arctic council?
Sources: down to earth.
Facts for Prelims
What is Naturopathy?
Naturopathy means ‘natural cure’. By using a combination of healthy diet, simple self-help techniques, for example, breathing and relaxation exercises, beneficial herbs and general exercise, naturopathy seeks to promote the body’s own ability to heal itself.
- Naturopaths treat most long-term conditions. In this practice it is used to treat recurrent infections, long-term fatigue, anxiety and irritable bowel syndrome. It is also useful for allergic conditions, chronic muscle pain and chronic disease in general.
Government of India has declared November 18 as Naturopathy Day in commemoration of the commitment made by Mahatma Gandhi to Nature Cure on that day in 1945.
Why in News?
Successfully flight tested.
- It is a surface-to-surface supersonic cruise missile featuring indigenous Booster and Airframe Section.
- It flies almost three times the speed of sound at Mach 2.8.
- The new BrahMos missile can strike targets over 400-km away with pin-point accuracy.
- The missile was jointly developed by India and Russia and was first tested in 2001.
POWERGRID signs MoU with the Ministry of Power, Govt. of India detailing targets for the year 2020-21.
- The MoU includes targets related to various parameters such as Financial, Physical, Project execution, etc. to be achieved by POWERGRID during the FY 2020-21.
- It is a Maharatna company headquartered in Gurugram, India and engaged mainly in Transmission of Power.
- It was incorporated on 23 October 1989 under the Companies Act, 1956 as a public limited company, wholly owned by the Government of India.
- POWERGRID transmits about 50% of the total power generated in India on its transmission network.
- POWERGRID also operates a telecom business under the name POWERTEL.
- The Corporation, apart from providing transmission system for evacuation of central sector power, is also responsible for Establishment and Operation of Regional and National Power Grids to facilitate transfer of power within and across the Regions.
Decarbonization and Energy Transition Agenda:
India and Netherlands have signed Statement of Intent on ‘Decarbonization and Energy Transition Agenda’.
- The Statement of Intent (SoI) supports decarbonization and energy transition agenda for accommodating cleaner and more energy.
- The focus of the partnership is on co-creating innovative technological solutions by leveraging the expertise of the two entities. This will be achieved through an exchange of knowledge and collaborative activities.
What is Mutation?
Mutation is the property of a virus to undergo changes when it multiplies. As it replicates, it may not produce exact replicas of itself, resulting in the emergence of new strains, which may be more or at times less effective. Some strains die out, while the more effective ones, which spread efficiently, survive.
Why in News?
The coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 is constantly mutating. Until now, 12,000 mutations have been documented.
Some articles of today’s Current affairs will be covered tomorrow.