Topics Covered: Conservation related issues.
Namami Gange Programme:
PM Modi inaugurated 6 mega projects in Uttarakhand under Namami Gange.
- The six sewage treatment plants or STPs were inaugurated at Haridwar, Rishikesh, Muni-ki-Reti and Badrinath via video conference.
About Namami Gange Programme:
It an Integrated Conservation Mission, approved as a ‘Flagship Programme’ in June 2014.
- It seeks to accomplish the twin objectives of effective abatement of pollution and conservation and rejuvenation of National River Ganga.
- It is being operated under Ministry of Jal Shakti.
The program is being implemented by the National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG), and its state counterpart organizations i.e., State Program ManagementGroups (SPMGs).
- NMCG is the implementation wing of National Ganga Council (set in 2016; which replaced the National Ganga River Basin Authority (NRGBA).
National Ganga Council (NGC) was Created in October 2016 under the River Ganga (Rejuvenation, Protection and Management) Authorities Order, 2016. It is Headed by Prime Minister.
It has a Rs. 20,000-crore, centrally-funded, non-lapsable corpus and consists of nearly 288 projects.
Main Pillars of the Namami Gange Programme are:
- Sewerage Treatment Infrastructure
- River-Surface Cleaning
- Industrial Effluent Monitoring
- River-Front Development
- Public Awareness
- Ganga Gram
- Composition of NGC.
- About NGRBA.
- What is NMCG?
- Components of Namami Gange Programme.
- World Bank group.