Topics Covered: Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies.
About the Central Pollution Control Board:
CPCB is a statutory organisation which was constituted in September, 1974 under the Water (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1974.
- It was entrusted with the powers and functions under the Air (Prevention and Control of Pollution) Act, 1981.
- It serves as a field formation and also provides technical services to the Ministry of Environment and Forests under the provisions of the Environment (Protection) Act, 1986.
- to promote cleanliness of streams and wells in different areas of the States by prevention, control and abatement of water pollution.
- to improve the quality of air and to prevent, control or abate air pollution in the country.
Why in News?
CPCB recently celebrated its 46th Foundation Day.
- About CPCB.
- Powers and functions.
- CPCB vs State Pollution Control Boards.
- Composition of CPCB.
Discuss the functions of CPCB.