Topic : Welfare schemes for vulnerable sections of the population by the Centre and States and the performance of these schemes; mechanisms, laws, institutions and Bodies constituted for the protection and betterment of these vulnerable sections.
2. Elaborate upon the major provisions of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 and suggest further measures for their empowerment. (250 words)
Reference: The Hindu
Why the question:
The question is based on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016.
Key Demand of the question:
One is expected to explain the major provisions of the rights of persons with disabilities act 2016 and also suggest suitable measures to ensure their rights.
Elaborate – Give a detailed account as to how and why it occurred, or what is the particular context. You must be defining key terms where ever appropriate, and substantiate with relevant associated facts.
Structure of the answer:
The Rights of Persons with Disabilities (RPWD) Act, 2016 was passed by the Indian Parliament to fulfill its obligation to the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD), which India ratified in 2007.
In the answer body discuss the salient provisions:
- The RPWD Act, 2016, has increased the list of scheduled disabilities to 21 conditions.
- The Act provides that the appropriate government shall ensure that the PWD enjoys the right to equality, life with dignity, and respect for his or her own integrity equally with others.
- It is stipulated in Section 3 that no PWD shall be discriminated against on the ground of disability unless it is shown that the impugned act or omission is a proportionate means of achieving a legitimate aim and no person shall be deprived of his personal liberty only on the ground of disability.
- The Government is to take steps to utilize the capacity of the PWD by providing an appropriate environment. The Act provides for access to inclusive education, vocational training, and self-employment of disabled persons.
Conclude with suggestions to improvise.