Topics Covered: Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
NIMHANS develops new Indian Brain Templates, brain atlas:
What is it?
The neuroscientists from NIMHANS studied over 500 brain scans of Indian patients to develop five sets of Indian brain templates and a brain atlas for five age groups covering late childhood to late adulthood (six to 60 years).
Why this is significant?
Currently, we are using Montreal Neurological Index (MNI) template. It is based on Caucasian brains and was made by averaging 152 healthy brain scans from just a small slice of the city’s population in North America. But Caucasian brains are different from Asian brains.
- But, India will now have a scale that will measure an Indian brain.
Benefits of Indian Brain Templates and atlas:
- They will provide more precise reference maps for areas of interest in individual patients with neurological disorders like strokes, brain tumours, and dementia.
- They will also help pool information more usefully in group studies of the human brain and psychological functions, aiding our understanding of psychiatric illnesses like Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), autism, substance dependence, schizophrenia, and mood disorders.
- These new population- and age-specific Indian brain templates will allow more reliable tracking of brain development and ageing, similar to how paediatricians monitor a child’s height or weight, for example, using a growth chart.
- About NIMHANS.
- What are brain templates?
- Who recently developed and released a brain atlas for India?
- What is Montreal Neurological Index (MNI) template? How was it formed?
What is Montreal Neurological Index (MNI) template? Where is it used?
Sources: the Hindu.