Topics Covered: Parliament and State Legislatures – structure, functioning, conduct of business, powers & privileges and issues arising out of these.
The Karnataka government is likely to take a delegation to bring pressure on the Centre to approve the construction of the Mekedatu balancing reservoir that has been proposed to store water for drinking purposes.
Present status of the project:
- The ₹9,000 crore project was approved by Karnataka State government in 2017.
- It has received approval from the Union Water Resources Ministry for the detailed project report and is awaiting approval from the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MOEF).
- However, Tamil Nadu has approached the Supreme Court against the project.
About Mekedatu dispute:
Mekedatu is a location along Cauvery in Kanakapura Taluk of Ramanagara District of Karnataka.
Karnataka wants a reservoir across Cauvery at Mekedatu, to meet Bengaluru’s water problem.
What Tamil Nadu says?
Tamil Nadu objected saying Karnataka had not sought prior permission for the project.
Its argument was that the project would affect the flow of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu.
Tamil Nadu also argues that the reservoir violates the decisions of the Supreme Court and the Cauvery Tribunal.
- The Supreme Court had noted that the existing storage in the Cauvery basin of Karnataka should be taken into account for ensuring water releases to Tamil Nadu during the period of June to January.
Facts for Prelims- Cauvery River:
River rises on Brahmagiri Hill of the Western Ghats in south-western Karnataka state.
The river basin covers three states and a Union Territory as follows: Tamil Nadu, 43,868 square kilometres, Karnataka, 34,273 square kilometres l, Kerala, 2,866 square kilometres and Puducherry.
Key tributaries: Hemavati, Lakshmantirtha, Kabani (Kabbani), Amaravati, Noyil, and Bhavani rivers.
Falls along the way: Upon entering Tamil Nadu, the Kaveri continues through a series of twisted wild gorges until it reaches Hogenakal Falls. Dams: There the Mettur Dam was constructed for irrigation and hydel power in Tamil Nadu.
- Tributaries of Cauvery.
- Basin states.
- Important falls and dams across the river.
- Where is Mekedatu?
- What is the project related to?
- Beneficiaries of the project.
Write a note on Mekedatu project.
Sources: the Hindu.