Topics Covered: Important International institutions, agencies and fora, their structure, mandate.
UNSC 1267 committee:
Why in News?
Recently, the UNSC threw out a Pakistani attempt to get two Indians designated as terrorists under Resolution 1267. This was the third such attempt by Pak this year.
What is UNSC 1267 committee?
It was first set up in 1999, and strengthened after the September 11, 2001 attacks.
- It is now known as the Da’esh and Al Qaeda Sanctions Committee.
- It comprises all permanent and non-permanent members of the UNSC.
- The 1267 list of terrorists is a global list, with a UNSC stamp. It is full of Pakistani nationals and residents.
What is the process by which people are listed under UNSC 1267?
- Any member state can submit a proposal for listing an individual, group, or entity.
- The 1267 Committee meets as required with a notice of four working days.
- Decisions on listing and de-listing are adopted by consensus.
- The proposal is sent to all the members, and if no member objects within five working days, the proposal is adopted. An “objection” means curtains for the proposal.
- Any member of the Committee may also put a “technical hold” on the proposal, and ask for more information from the proposing member state. During this time, other members may also place their own holds.
- The matter remains on the “pending” list of the Committee until such time as the member state that has placed the hold decides to turn its decision into an “objection”, or until all those who have placed holds remove them within a timeframe laid down by the Committee.
- Pending issues must be resolved in six months, but the member state that has placed the hold may ask for an additional three months. At the end of this period, if an objection is not placed, the matter is considered approved.
Any proposal for listing must meet set criteria:
The proposal must include acts or activities indicating the proposed individual/group/entity had participated “in the financing, planning, facilitating, preparing, or perpetrating of acts or activities” linked to “ISIL (Da’esh), Al-Qaida or any cell, affiliate, splinter group or derivative thereof”.
- What is UNSC 1267 committee?
- When was it established?
- What is the 1267 list?
- Process by which people are listed under UNSC 1267.
- Criteria that a proposal must meet for listing.
Discuss the roles and functions of the UNSC 1267 Committee.
Sources: the Hindu.