Topics Covered: Role of civil services in a democracy.
Mission Karmayogi- National Programme for Civil Services Capacity Building (NPCSCB):
Approved by the Union Cabinet recently.
What is it?
It is a New National Architecture for Civil Services Capacity Building.
It is also a Comprehensive reform of the capacity building apparatus at individual, institutional and process levels for efficient public service delivery.
Institutional framework and implementation of the programme:
- PM led Public Human Resources (HR) Council to approve and monitor Civil Service Capacity Building Plans.
- Capacity Building Commission to harmonize training standards, create shared faculty and resources, and have supervisory role over all Central Training Institutions.
- Wholly owned Special Purpose Vehicle to own and operate the online learning platform and facilitate world-class learning content market-place.
- Coordination Unit headed by the Cabinet Secretary.
The core guiding principles of the Programme will be:
- Supporting Transition from ‘Rules based’ to ‘Roles based’ HR Management.
- To emphasize on ‘on-site learning’ to complement the ‘off-site’ learning,
- To create an ecosystem of shared training infrastructure including that of learning materials, institutions and personnel,
- To calibrate all Civil Service positions to a Framework of Roles, Activities and Competencies (FRACs) approach and to create and deliver learning content relevant to the identified FRACs in every Government entity.
- To make available to all civil servants, an opportunity to continuously build and strengthen their Behavioral, Functional and Domain Competencies in their self-driven and mandated learning paths.
- To enable all the Central Ministries and Departments and their Organizations to directly invest their resources towards co-creation and sharing the collaborative and common ecosystem of learning through an annual financial subscription for every employee.
- To encourage and partner with the best-in-class learning content creators including public training institutions, universities, start-tips and individual experts,
- To undertake data analytics in respect of data emit provided by iGOT- Karmayogi pertaining to various aspects of capacity building, content creation, user feedback and mapping of competencies and identify areas for policy reforms.
|What is iGOT Karmayogi Platform?
The Programme will be delivered by setting up an Integrated Government Online Training-iGOTKarmayogiPlatform.
· The platform brings the scale and state-of-the-art infrastructure to augment the capacities of over two crore officials in India.
· The platform will evolve into a vibrant and world-class market place for content where carefully curated and vetted digital e-learning material will be made available.
· Besides capacity building, service matters like confirmation after probation period, deployment, work assignment and notification of vacancies etc. would eventually be integrated with the proposed competency framework.
Functions of various proposed bodies:
Capacity Building Commission:
- To assist the PM Public Human Resources Council in approving the Annual Capacity Building Plans.
- To exercise functional supervision over all Central Training Institutions dealing with civil services capacity building.
- To create shared learning resources, including internal and external faculty and resource centers.
- To coordinate and supervise the implementation of the Capacity Building Plans with the stakeholder Departments.
- To set norms for common mid-career training programs across all civil services.
A wholly owned Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV):
It will be set up under Section 8 of the Companies Act, 2013.
It will be a “not-for-profit” company.
It will own and manage iGOT-Karmayogi platform.
- The SPV will create and operationalize the content, market place and manage key business services ofiGOT-Karmayogi platform, relating to content validation, independent proctored assessments and telemetry data availability.
- It will own all Intellectual Property Rights on behalf of the Government of India.
Public Human Resources Council:
- It will include select Union Ministers, Chief Ministers, eminent public HR practitioners, thinkers, global thought leaders and Public Service functionaries under the Chairmanship of Hon’ble Prime Minister.
- It will serve as the apex body for providing strategic direction to the task of Civil Services Reform and capacity building.
Larger significance of the programme:
It aims to prepare the Indian Civil Servant for the future by making him more creative, constructive, imaginative, innovative, proactive, professional, progressive, energetic, enabling, transparent and technology-enabled. Empowered with specific role-competencies, the civil servant will be able to ensure efficient service delivery of the highest quality standards.
Composition and the functions of:
- Public Human Resources (HR) Council.
- Capacity Building Commission.
- Special Purpose Vehicle.
Who will head the coordination unit?
Who shall own and operate the iGOT Karmayogi Platform?
Under the programme, who shall own all Intellectual Property Rights on behalf of the Government of India?
Discuss the need for and significance of Mission Karmayogi.