Topics Covered: Science and Technology- developments and their applications and effects in everyday life Achievements of Indians in science & technology; indigenization of technology and developing new technology.
Global Innovation Index 2020 released:
13th edition of Global Innovation Index released.
· The index is a leading reference for measuring an economy’s innovation performance.
The GII is co-published by Cornell University, INSEAD, and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), a specialized agency of the United Nations.
Theme: Who Will Finance Innovation? is timely given the human and global economic damage wreaked by the COVID-19 global pandemic.
How are countries ranked?
GII rankings are based on 80 indicators, from traditional measurements like research and development investments and international patent and trademark applications.
- This year, India climbed four spots and is now at 48th position in the list.
- India is at the top position among the nations in central and southern Asia.
- India has now become the third most innovative lower middle-income economy in the world.
- India ranks in the top 15 in indicators such as ICT (Information and Communication Technology) services exports, government online services, graduates in science and engineering, and R&D-intensive global companies.
- The rankings show stability at the top but a gradual “eastward shift in the locus of innovation” as Asian economies like China, India, the Philippines and Vietnam have advanced considerably in the innovation ranking over the years.
- Top 5: Switzerland, Sweden, the US, the UK and the Netherlands lead the innovation ranking.
- Global Innovation Index is released by?
- When was the first edition released?
- Theme for 2020.
- Performance of India this year.
- Global performance.
- Top 10 countries in the index.
Discuss the features and significance of the Global Innovation Index.
Topics Covered: Challenges to internal security through communication networks, role of media and social networking sites in internal security challenges, basics of cyber security.
Ban on Chinese Mobile apps:
118 mobile apps blocked.
The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology.
By invoking it’s power under section 69A of the Information Technology Act read with the relevant provisions of the Information Technology (Procedure and Safeguards for Blocking of Access of Information by Public) Rules 2009.
In view of the emergent nature of threats. It has been said that these apps are engaged in activities which is prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India, defence of India, security of state and public order.
Why this was necessary? (Arguments by the government):
- Government had received many complaints from various sources including several reports about misuse of some mobile apps available on Android and iOS platforms for stealing and surreptitiously transmitting users’ data in an unauthorized manner to servers which have locations outside India.
- The compilation of these data, its mining and profiling by elements hostile to national security and defence of India, which ultimately impinges upon the sovereignty and integrity of India, is a matter of very deep and immediate concern which requires emergency measures.
- The Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre, Ministry of Home Affairs has also sent an exhaustive recommendation for blocking these malicious apps.
This was the goverment’s third round of bans. Besides, the Centre’s latest move comes in the backdrop of the tension between India and China on the Line of Actual Control (LAC).
- China’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA) has, for over four months now, been trying to shift its boundary with India in Ladakh.
|Section 69A of IT act:|
|Section 69A of the IT Act, empowers the Central Government to order that access to certain websites and computer resources be blocked in the interest of the defense of the country, its sovereignty and integrity, the security of the State, friendly relations with foreign States, public order or for preventing incitement to the commission of an offence.|
- Section 69A of the IT Act is related to?
- Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre- administrative setup and functions.
- What is Line of Actual Control.
- LAC vs LOC.
- Where Chushul Valley?
The Centre’s recent move to block 59 Chinese apps has brought to the fore the inherently tricky ‘national security versus digital rights’ question. How do you view this? Give your opinion.