Topic: Indian Economy and issues relating to planning, mobilization, of resources, growth, development and employment.
3. analyze in detail the transparent taxation platform “Transparent Taxation – Honoring the Honest” that was launched recently in the country. (250 words)
Reference: The Big Picture: Transparent Taxation, Honoring the Honest
Why the question:
Recently Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi launched a platform for “Transparent Taxation – Honoring the Honest”.
Key Demand of the question:
One has to analyse the significance and relevance of the platform in detail.
Analyze – When asked to analyse, you have to examine methodically the structure or nature of the topic by separating it into component parts and present them as a whole in a summary.
Structure of the answer:
Briefly present the taxation system in the country.
The Transparent Taxation Platform:
- It is aimed at bringing transparency in income tax systems and empowering taxpayers.
- The main features of the platform are faceless assessment, faceless appeal and taxpayer charter.
- The faceless assessment and taxpayer charter will come into place immediately from the launch, while the faceless appeal is going to be applicable from 25th September 2020.
- Faceless Assessment: It aims to eliminate human interface between the taxpayer and the income tax department.
- There will be no need for the taxpayer to visit the income tax office or the officer.
- The selection of a taxpayer is possible through systems using analytics and Artificial Intelligence.
- Faceless Appeal: Under the system, appeals will be randomly allotted to any officer in the country. The identity of the officer deciding the appeal will remain unknown.
- Taxpayer Charter: This outlines the rights and responsibilities of both tax officers and taxpayers.
Conclude with significance.