Topics Covered: Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies.
Price Monitoring and Resource Unit set up in Karnataka:
A Price Monitoring and Resource Unit (PMRU) has been set up in Karnataka under the aegis of National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA), Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers.
What are Price Monitoring and Resource Units (PMRU)?
It is a registered society and shall function under the direct control and supervision of State Drug Controller of respective states. The unit shall be funded by NPPA for its recurring and non-recurring expenses.
- Help NPPA and State Drug Controller in ensuring availability and accessibility of medicines at affordable prices.
- Organise seminars, training programs and other information, education and communication (IEC) activities in the areas of availability and affordability of medicines for all.
- Collect samples of medicines, collect and analyse data and make reports with respect to availability and over-pricing of medicines for taking action under the provisions of Drug Price Control Order (DPCO).
Which other states have PMRUs?
NPPA, under its Central Sector Scheme named Consumer Awareness, Publicity and Price Monitoring (CAPPM), has already set up PMRUs in 12 States/ UTs, including Kerala, Odisha, Gujarat, Rajasthan, Haryana, Nagaland, Tripura, Uttar Pradesh, Punjab, Andhra Pradesh, Mizoram and Jammu & Kashmir.
- NPPA has plans to set up PMRUs in all the 36 States/ UTs.
- Who can set up PMRUs?
- Role of states in setting up of PMRUs.
- Functions of NPPA in context of DPCO regulation.
- Which states in India have PMRUs.
Discuss the role and functions of Price Monitoring & Resource Unit (PMRU).