Topics Covered: Statutory, regulatory and various quasi-judicial bodies.
Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED):
Why in News?
33rd Foundation Day of TRIFED was observed on 6th August 2020.
It is the national level cooperative body mandated to bring about socio-economic development of tribals of the country by institutionalising the trade of Minor Forest Produce (MFP) & Surplus Agricultural Produce (SAP) collected/cultivated by them.
- It was established in 1987.
- It is under the administrative control of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
- It plays the dual role of both a market developer and a service provider, empowering the tribals with knowledge and tools to better their operations in a systematic, scientific manner and also assist them in developing their marketing approach.
- It is involved actively in capacity building of the tribal people through sensitization and the formation of Self Help Groups (SHGs).
- The organisation also assists them in exploring and creating opportunities to market the developed products in national and international markets on a sustainable basis.
Recent initiatives by TRIFED:
- Launched Van Dhan Samajik Doori Jagrookta Abhiyaan, which is aimed at educating Tribals engaged in gathering NTFPs in forest areas, on covid-19 response, key preventive behaviour like social distancing, home quarantine, hygiene tips.
- Initiated steps to provide the Van Dhan Self Help Groups (SHGs) with protective masks and hygiene products (Soaps, Disinfectants, etc.) that are necessary for carrying out their operations in a safe manner.
- Focus on revamping the Minimum Support Price (MSP) for MFP to enhance tribal livelihood in these testing times and to ensure that they get the benefit of an equitable market price for their produce.
- TRIFOOD Scheme is a joint initiative of Ministry of Food Processing Industry, Ministry of Tribal Affairs and TRIFED.
- Tech for Tribals, an initiative of TRIFED supported by Ministry of MSME, aims at capacity building and imparting entrepreneurship skills to tribal forest produce gatherers enrolled under the Pradhan Mantri VanDhan Yojana(PMVDY).
- Tech for Tribals- aims and objectives.
- About Pradhan Mantri VanDhan Yojana(PMVDY).
- TRIFOOD scheme.
- MSP for MFP scheme.
- Van Dhan Samajik Doori Jagrookta Abhiyaan- objectives.
- About TRIFED.