Topics Covered: Modern Indian history from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present- significant events, personalities, issues.
- Birth Anniversary- 2nd August.
- He was born on August 2, 1876, in Andhra Pradesh.
- He is also known as ‘Jhanda Venkaiah’.
Who was Pingali Venkayya?
Pingali Venkayya was a freedom fighter and the designer of the Indian National Tricolour. The national flag that we see today was based upon his design.
The evolution of Indian National Flag:
- Between 1918 and 1921, Venkayya raised the issue of having an own flag in every session of the Congress. Back then, he was working as a lecturer in the Andhra National College in Machilipatnam.
- He met the Mahatma once again in Vijayawada and showed him his publication with the various designs of the flag. Acknowledging the need for a national flag, Gandhi then asked Venkayya to design a fresh one at the national congress meeting in 1921.
- Initially, Venkayya came up with saffron and green colours, but it later evolved with a spinning wheel at the centre and a third colour-white. (LALA HANS RAJ SONDHI SUGGESTED ADDING A SPINNING WHEEL — SHOWING THE INDEPENDENT INDIANS WHO CAN SPIN THEIR OWN CLOTHING FROM LOCAL FIBRES.)
- The flag was officially adopted by the Indian National Congress in 1931.
- About Anglo Boer war.
- When was the flag designed by Venkayya was officially accepted by the Indian National Congress?
- Adoption of National Flag by the Constituent Assembly.
- Flag Code of India- overview.
- Manufacturer of the national flag in India.
Discuss the key provisions of Flag Code of India, 2002.