Topics Covered: Issues related to direct and indirect farm subsidies and minimum support prices; Public Distribution System objectives, functioning, limitations, revamping; issues of buffer stocks and food security; Technology missions; economics of animal-rearing.
Food System Vision Prize 2020:
- It is an invitation for organizations across the globe to develop a Vision of the regenerative and nourishing food system that they aspire to create by the year 2050.
- The prize awards a cash incentive of USD $200,000.
- It was launched by the USA-based ‘The Rockefeller Foundation’, in partnership with the other two organisations – SecondMuse and OpenIDEO- in 2019.
What is a Food System Vision?
It is really a story about the future that addresses the following six interconnected themes:
Why in News?
- The Rockefeller Foundation has selected Naandi Foundation (a Hyderabad based non-profit organisation), as one of the top 10 ‘Visionaries’ in the world for the Food System Vision 2050 Prize.
- Naandi was recognised for its Arakunomics
What is Arakunomics?
It is a new integrated economic model that ensures profits for farmers, quality for consumers through regenerative agriculture.
This model is a tribute to the tribal farmers of Araku region for the world-class coffee produced and launched in Paris in 2017 as well as for the high carbon landscape transformation they did in over 955 villages there by planting 25 million trees.
Why Naandi was chosen?
- The success of Arakunomics in Araku region led to Naandi replicating the model to support the livelihood of farming communities in the villages of Wardha, Maharashtra, and later in New Delhi.
- Naandi hopes to expand its “food-print” by creating thousands of farm livelihoods by transforming their agriculture over one million acres spread across India.
- Also, Arakunomics model leads to Food Vision 2050 that follows an “ABCDEFGH” framework centering on:
- Decentralised decision-making
- Global Markets
- Headstands or turning current approaches on their head.
- What is Arakunomics?
- About the Food System Vision Prize.
- The prize is announced by?
- Which Indian Organisation was recently selected for this prize?
Write a note on Arakunomics.
Sources: the Hindu.