Topics Covered: Infrastructure- roadways.
Delhi government launches electric vehicle policy:
- Delhi government has launched the Electric Vehicle Policy for the national capital.
- With this policy, the government aims to generate employment to give a boost to Delhi’s economy and reduce pollution levels in the national capital.
Highlights of the policy:
- The policy aims to constitute 25% electric vehicles by 2024, which is currently just 0.29% in the in the national capital.
- The government will waive registration fee and road tax.
- It will give incentive of up to ₹30,000 for two-wheelers, autos, e-rickshaws and freight vehicles while for cars, it will provide an incentive of up to ₹1.5 lakh.
- The government will also give low-interest loan on electric commercial vehicles.
- An ‘EV Cell’ will be established to implement the Policy.
- The government will also set up a ‘State Electric Vehicle Board’.
- 200 charging stations will be set up in a year to ensure that people driving these vehicles can get a charging station within the radius of three kilometers.
- The Delhi government will give a ”scrapping incentive” under the electric vehicle policy, which will be first-of-its-kind in the country.
- Youth will be trained so that they get jobs as electric vehicle sector will need them at a large scale after implementation of this policy.
Sources: the Hindu.